Friday, October 3, 2008

Downhill . . .

It seems like we just started school a couple of weeks ago, and here we are already approaching Fall Break (Hallelulah, as Nora would say)! Before we know, Christmas Break will be here and then it will be countdown to Spring Break. But while we're still in fall, let us reflect on the wonderful attributes of this glorious season:

  • The crisp air. Even if it is 86 outside, the dryness makes it so much more enjoyable than our 86 summer days with their 190% humidity.
  • The leaves falling on the ground and the trees changing colors. I am looking forward to the fiery red of the hard maples like my parents had at their old house. Oaks just don't have the dramatic hues that maples do.
  • Family Reunion in the "Hollar"! This is the 2nd best family gathering. With all but a handful of my cousins not reproducing (those that are too young and me) the rest have managed to create enough little Snyders to repopulate the hills, should anything happen to the hillbilly population in theOzarks. The pumpkin carving, the bonfire, Uncle Ricks beans, camping out. The best gathering would be the family "fourth of July" in mid July. 700 of our closest friends and family gathered this past summer. It gets bigger every year. I'm waiting for my uncle to throw in the towel, but he's always been one for entertaining.
  • John will have his first Silver Dollar City experience when we head up for the reunion. I think we had season passes from the time I was 9 until I hit college. If it weren't for the new rides that they keep adding, I could probably navigate that place blindfolded. For John's sake, I won't attempt this. I do plan on picking up a ceramic jack o'lantern, some sourdough bread (yummers) and some fudge.
  • Walking to Brookside for brunch and hearign the crunch of the leaves and the shuffle as we walk.
  • Oktoberfest! When will you ever see so many Tulsans happy? Okay, so they may be easily influenced by the pitchers of lagers and ales, but the Chicken Dance will bring a smile to everyone's face, especially the DD with the soda wristband. The jury is still out on which side of the grass is greener.
  • Halloween is usually my favorite holiday, but the school is having their homecoming that night. Hopefully, we can still squeeze in a murder mystery that weekend. Still plotting my costume and keeping my eyes open for the cheesiest square dance costume and the biggest petticoat.
  • Thanksgiving! Our ritual is thrown off this year because KM, Mom, and Dad have decided to join relatives in MO, but we've already come up with a plan that is sure to be superb: Laura and Aaron will venture off to his mom's for their lunch, John and I will join his family for their lunch, then we will reconvene at our house, along with some friends that are staying in town. John and Aaron are going to try their luck at frying a turkey and Laura and I have decided to smuggle left overs from respective lunches. With my birthday falling on Thanksgiving, I've decided that a decadent cake would be the most appropriate.
  • I've never been one for the Black Friday shopping deal, but Laura & I plan on getting up early and at least hitting Sams for their breakfast - which was the highlight last year. Maybe head over to the new Target - Love that place - can't get enough! The mall is off limits! I have nightmares from my retail days!

No comments:

Post a Comment