Thursday, November 13, 2008

I Miss . . .

Having a good doctor. I have a feeling my endo. is back and getting in to see my doctor is the most complicated, ridiculous task in the world. On top of the pain, irritability, and discomfort, they just can't seem to work together to get me in. I miss my doctor in Grapevine. If I had a problem, question, fear, anything, I could either talk to her the same day or talk to her PA, who was just as competent and attentive. If I needed to come in, they would try to squeeze me in within the week. I think my current doctor will only give me the time of day if I'm pregnant - which I'm not, and I'm thinking that after 17 months, I need to have her do a little investigating to see if anything is preventing (you no, the whole endo thing - this doesn't seem to be as big of a deal to her as the Dr. who diagnosed). The last time I went in with a concern, they couldn't get me in until nearly two months later and by then, it was hard to describe what was bothering me. "Maybe it's just gas. Next time, call your PCP first to see if it's gas. I'm sure he can prescribe something for it". "The endo will go away when you get pregnant". And what if that doesn't happen? So, back the original point . . . I stayed home from work Tuesday, hoping to get in to my Dr. or at least talk to her. Talked to the scheduling woman, who took a few notes and said she would pass the note on to Dr, who would call me back. That was Tuesday. Went to the gym Weds. after work, at about 4:30. Finished around 5:40 and had a missed call and MSG on my phone - left at 4:51. It was my doctor, finally calling, but her message was, "hi Dayna, it's Dr. L, returning your call. The office is about to close, so you can call me back tomorrow." Gee, I can? Thanks for your permission. I won't be though, because it took you more than 24 hours, and you waited until the end of the day, when your really wouldn't have time to listen to my laundry list of concerns, much less hear what I was saying, because you're probably more concerned with next phone call that you haven't returned.
PRESCRIPTIONS!!!
When did doctors stop doing their jobs? Why prescribe something that will just mask the condition when you should probably diagnose and treat so it doesn't turn into something more severe down the line (you know, your job?). When I first called her office, the girl on the other end was asking me about pharmacies and what drugs I can't take. "You're not going to prescribe something for the pain are you?" "well, she might." "I'm not concerned about the pain - I'm concerned about what's causing the pain". "Alright, well, I'll give her your message and she'll call you back." Two jerkies later and they have me scheduled for Dec. 3rd - which doesn't do much for me, because I will not be ovulating (if I even am) and I won't be experiencing any major issues.
I'm in the market for a new doctor - a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment