Tuesday, November 4, 2008

So Proud of Voters Today!

We decided to vote this morning before work, which was kind of a mistake, but at the same time, so much fun! This is the third time we've been to the polls since moving back and this was the first major election - we weren't prepared for the line! We arrived at 7:20 and were done at 8:25! Ove one hour! Wow and yikes! In the past, we've walked right up to the table and were sometimes among the first 20 to vote that day. Even in the 2004 election, when we were in Grapevine, we still managed to walk right in to our precinct and vote.

I guess I should also factor in that ballot that we had - I mean two ballots, though the 2nd was pretty easy. But I really should have read through the sample ballot that was published in Sunday's paper. I only skimmed.

This, however, is going to be one dirty battle - but hopefully not as bad as the 2000 election. The words "hanging" and "chad" send shivers up my spine. I look back at those days in college, hanging out by the TV, wasting good study time on the back and forth between Gore and Bush. The country seems to be just as divided today as we were eight years ago. I'm not sure I'll turn on the TV this evening. Just go for a walk, come home, eat dinner, read, shower, go to bed, wake up to a new president tomorrow. And if the man I voted for gets it, great, and if not, at least I didn't put myself through the anxiety of watching the polls on TV and waiting for the Electoral votes.

Oh, and Starbucks! Thank you for the free cup of coffee! I do believe I saw some of the same people at Starbucks after voting. Just in case you weren't aware - Your vote = Free cup of brewed coffee at Starbucks!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dayna! Yes, all this thought about becoming an art teacher has brought up memories of Ms. Alden. She was inspirational wasn't she. Unfortunately I can't remember the sculpture, I need more details! If we made it I bet it was good :)

    ReplyDelete