Monday, April 27, 2009

Moments When I Wish I Had My Camera . . .

Now that spring is finally here, Tulsa seems so full of life and interesting people. I should mention that we are never lacking in the interesting people department.

Last night, John and I went to P.F. Changs for dinner, then walked around Utica Square. Around 9:00 PM, we walked through the courtyard between Wild Fork and Starbucks. Laying in the grass was a female duck, though we weren't quite sure if she was sleeping or "sleeping". We stood there for a few moments to examine, and were relieved to see her body rise and fall with breathe. She was just sleeping, but she was alone, in a busy area, at night. Seemed odd and out of place.

Anyway, we continued our walk, then returned later to get some coffee. At 9:45, the chimes sounded (we love the chimes) and the duck awoke, looking (to us anyway) confused and lost. She waddled around towards a fountain, quacked a few times, and then waddled to the bushes, under a tree, and all around. We think the poor girl was left alone while she was sleeping. It was kind of sad.

For the past month or so, when I'm out and about, I've seen this man on a motorcycle with a sidecar. In that sidecar sits his furry companion, donning goggles. The companion is a rather large golden retriever who seems to enjoy every moment in that sidecar. Head hanging out the side, tongue wagging in the air. I swear that's a smile plastered to his face. I don't think anyone could keep from smiling while riding in a sidecar though.

We played hookie from church yesterday because John has been so busy from travel and work and I'm still cooling off from worrying about events. We slept in until about 10:00, but I awoke every 30 minutes or so hear a helicopter flying overhead. We're not far from St. John, so it's normal. But hearing it every time I woke up was a little odd. When we finally did role out of bed, we went to the back yard to see what was going on. The helicopter was circling over the river. Training? Someone fall in? Now I know that it was a suicidal man on the 21st St. bridge. Thankfully no one was hurt. The traffic on the trail to the river seemed much higher than a usual Sunday morning. Others playing hookie from church or curious neighbors wanting to see what the commotion is all about? Knowing my neighborhood, it's the plain nosy spectators.

2 comments:

  1. I read your post then couldn't stop thinking about that poor duck! I hope she found where she was going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sad, isn't it? I thought about her even when we went home, and then after posting the blog. I have to tell myself that they flew over to Swan Lake, not too far, and she would know where to find them.

    ReplyDelete