Wednesday, January 14, 2009

30 Going on 13

A few summers ago, I read a book titled Everything I Needed to Know About Being a Girl I Learned From Judy Blume and since then I have been thinking about ways to help pre - teen girls through the awkward years (maybe it's feasible, maybe it's just my event - planning mind, who knows). But I've decided that I'm going to go in some direction with this, maybe start with a new blog. Get input from other 30 - something women. Yes, a reversal on the Jennifer Garner mover, 13 Going on 30 (Or Tom Hanks Big - whatever). Kind of an "if I'd known then what I know now". I know I could have used the wisdom of a mid - 20s to 30s woman that was not my mom, sister, or camp counselor. Their advice was often misguided.

Yes, some research is in my future, but it's research that I'll enjoy. Those Judy Blume books were pretty helpful. especially Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret, which covered what my mom never discussed with me (I'm pretty sure she was under the impression that KM would guide me through the change, and I in turn would guide Laura through it). But there's so much more to those years than that (puberty just fueled the fire). There are programs to help pregnant teens, runaways, drug abuse, etc, but what do we have to prevent all of the above by just communication? What about open dialogue between pre - teens and young women that would help these girls understand and cope with their hormonal, crazy, peer - pressure years?

Some girls make it through just fine - I'm pretty sure I did, but there are many that get lost along the way and end up not knowing who they are or who they want to be. I need to work through the vision a little more; it's all still swirling around up there. More to come, I'm sure . . .

1 comment:

  1. HI!!!!!!!! Wow - I had no idea you were on here....I like the "sharing is caring " and the links to other blogs (such as mine! :) How are you? How do i add that to mine so my people can get to your people? we just might take over the world now, you and i! I really like what I read and see so far I have to catch up! But anyway, I'm back so you'll have to stay on me to stay current! ha. Ok let me know about that link thing though

    ReplyDelete