Friday, February 20, 2009

Woo Hoo!

Imagine my excitement when, yesterday, home from work because of a Claritin - D "hangover", John calls to tell me that Dave Matthews Band is coming to the BOK! Had it not been for the dizziness, I would have been dancing. Just over 9 months away! Woo Hoo DMB! I haven't been this excited since I got to see Prince in Dallas on a total fluke. John's company had a suite at the AA Arena and no one had requested tickets for the show yet. Prince from a suite - - sweet! One of the best shows ever. I predict that DMB will bump one off the list.

As for the Claritin D. I should mention that I took this everyday through college. Every. Day. Haven't relied on daily allergy meds in years (no cats or dogs around me), so when I took a Claritin D Wednesday night, I wasn't anticipating any bizarre side effects. Fast forward 7 or so hours after taking the pill and I wake up sweating, dizzy, and chills, unable to go back to sleep. Every time I turn my head I get a little woozy. I've dealt with worse, but this was kind of freaky. So, 6:30 rolls around, I get out of bed, stumble. Grab my phone and glasses, stumble. Stumble around the bed to my closet. Stumble into the closet door. Grab the wall to balance myself as I reach in to grab my bathrobe (don't want to stumble into the closet - I could very well knock myself out). My first thought was that I was coming down with whatever is going around at school.

Manage to shower (with assistance from railing in shower) and then casually grip the walls as I work back to the other bathroom to get ready. Sit down on the seat next to the tub and carefully put on my moisturizer, deciding that my contacts can wait a little longer. I'd have to stand for that. Take my temp. No fever, but it's reading nearly 2 degrees below normal. That's when I decide to grab the packaging for the Claritin D. In bold letters, "Stop use and ask a doctor if:"
  • you experience dizziness, sleeplessness, . . . . check, check check, and check

I didn't feel the need to consult a doctor, as I know I won't take this again and he probably wouldn't say much more than "stop taking it", give me a prescription for something else, and tell me to drink lots of water. I decided, instead, to consult my couch and a tall glass of water. Save myself the $25 and the ordeal of having to drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment